Friday, January 1, 2010

Tooth-powder

Hello All.


This is Andrew chiming in. Over the past several months I've turned my mouth away from toothpaste for a variety of health reason. Foremost was originally because toothpaste, which we use after eating sugary foods, more often than not contains at least one artificial sugar. Do bacteria in the mouth know the difference between artificial sorbital and natural glucose? Maybe, but they don't discriminate.

There have been many more reasons found to eschew store bought toothpaste since then. Artificial sugars, Emulsifiers, Fluorine; I just don't like to deal with it. So instead, I've been making my own Tooth-powder.

Anyway, I ran out, and the New Year holiday was the perfect time to make a new batch.

It's mostly baking soda, the effective ingredient in toothpaste. My exact recipe varies in the amount of the ingredients, but the exact ingredients themselves are steady. I adjust it to taste, and also based on what oils I feel would be beneficial. It's completely biased, so don't worry about overdoing something.

The ingredients are these for about 12 ounces of tooth-powder:

  • 12 ounces of Baking Soda
  • 20 drops Fennel oil
  • 20 drops Red Thyme oil
  • 30 drops Myrrh
  • 1/4 teaspoon tea tree oil
  • Peppermint extract to taste




You will need two large bowls, a strainer or sieve, and a spoon.

  1. Pour the Baking Soda into one of the large bowls
  2. Except for the Peppermint, pour the oils onto the Baking Soda
  3. Mix the Powder and oils around a bit
  4. Hold a strainer over the second bowl and spoon mixture into strainer
  5. Use the spoon to push down any stubborn globs that won't strain.
  6. Continue the process until the entire mixture has been transferred.
  7. Taste the powder. If it is overpowering, add more Baking Soda. If not,
  8. Add Peppermint oil and
  9. Sieve back into the original bowl.
As you may see already, this may require quite a bit of sieving. This is time consuming, but seems to work best. If you have a handheld blender or small food processor, it should make the job less time consuming.

After the mixture tastes right, (right is entirely up to you) pour the mixture into a container. If you have small containers, like the empty travel size listerine bottles, go ahead and use those to carry the powder around. I used to use an empty bottle of peppermint extract. From that experience let me advise this: don't carry around small glass bottles in your pockets.

Twelve ounces of tooth-powder should last a while. It's much cheaper and safer (Statement not approved by FDA) than store bought, Fluoride containing toothpaste.

If you're wondering why I use these exact items, it's because of the properties of the oils. Myrrh is antiseptic and has healing properties on the gums. It often helps with the odors of decaying teeth. Fennel and Thyme oil are also antiseptic, and antibacterial as well. Tea Tree oil is the king here. Antiseptic, antibacterial, antiviral, and scar tissue forming, I use tea tree oil for anything tooth and all cuts and larger pimples.

DO NOT USE MYRRH, THYME, OR FENNEL IF YOU ARE OR MAY BE PREGNANT. They are all emmenagogues or blood stimulants, and may bring on menstruation. If you have extremely high blood pressure you should be wary as well. The amount called for in the recipe shouldn't have much of an effect on your blood pressure, but take caution.


I am not a doctor or licensed medical professional, and all information is anecdotal.

Anecdotal, I use this or straight baking soda. I haven't used tooth paste for months.
Have fun. :)

Andrew, signing off.

2 comments:

Starigazers said...

Wow! That's very cool Andrew. Now I don't have to worry about running out of toothpaste. Ruben

S and O said...

I like the way this blog is turning out:)
Great work team!

You know I might just try some of that toothpaste, now that I know how to make it ^_^

Olivia

Related Posts with Thumbnails